Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Lessons for the New Year

Okay. I had great plans to post something really thoughtful and reflective on New Year's Day, but that didn't happen. I could blame holiday celebrations, or even "returning to work" craziness, but the truth is I've had trouble focusing lately. My thoughts have been rather scattered and for someone who analyzes as much as I do, this can be rather debilitating. However, I'll give it a try.

A favorite question among certain members of our household is "where do you see me in ___ years?" The number varies ranging from 1 to 10. Well, I can honestly say, that if someone has asked me that question 10 or even 5 years ago, I would not have pictured my life as it is now. I had a life plan, albeit an ambiguous one, and I was convinced that plan was what God wanted for me. However, as time passed, God began to show me that I had made the plan my idol. It was a good plan, a plan that involved serving God, but somewhere along the way working for God became more important that knowing God. Though much prayer and soul searching I asked God to take away any dream or plan that was not His and give me new direction. He did. Well, part of it anyway. I can honestly say that I no longer desire my plan, only what He wants. It has been frustrating at times however, because there are many days when He seems silent. As I start a new year, I have to fight against fear - fear that I will miss His voice or allow myself to be guided by others - even well meaning people - in the name of what is logical or expected by our culture. However, as I spend time in God's word, I am learning not to fear. I am also learning a very important lesson: If God never calls me to do anything else, He has called me to know Him. That is my purpose. Knowing Him. Everything else will come in His time. So, my lessons for the new year involve applying His word.



"My determined purpose is that I may know Him. That I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly, and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection...and that I may share in His sufferings as to be continually transformed...Not that I have now attained this ideal, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to lay hold of and make my own, that for which Christ Jesus has laid hold of me and made me His own...This one thing I do; forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward." Philippians 3:10-14 (Amplified Bible)

3 comments:

Lori said...

Some of my favorite verses. You gotta love the church of Phillipi, right?! Remember when we were there, oh, how fun to remember.... Well, I enjoyed your thoughts. My problem is that I begin to think that God's plan for me is to be comfortable and enjoy my life. Then I realize that if nothing is challenging me and I'm not growing in Him, there's a problem. You have challenged me to take those verses to heart as well. Thanks a ton!

Emily :) said...

I'm glad you got your thoughts together! They always inspire me. I sure do look forward to seeing the plan God has for you and I know that you will experience the blessings of seeking His Will. Keep pressing on!!!

Carrie said...

Wow Karen. That takes a lot of courage. I often am really careful about what I ask of the Lord because He may do it. It takes an amazing person to ask God to take something that means so much away in order to remain in His will. As for making plans...it's funny how we get so busy doing God work instead of God's work. Brother Barry spoke Sunday about the things the devil has stolen from us. I realized that he has stolen many things from me including time, peace, trust, closeness with my family...all I feel like could have possibly happened while I was too busy doing "God work" instead of forming a real and true relationship with Jesus. I have made a real effort to be different, and to grow, and to be conscious that the devil is a liar and a thief who has come to kill and destroy. Wow. Seemed to have found myself in the middle of a heated rant. Hope you are well. I love you. PHILLIPIANS 1:3