Monday, January 26, 2009

The Bond Of Love

"I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy...It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart...all of you share in God's grace with me." Philippians 1:3-7

Yesterday was bittersweet. My dad has been interim pastor at a church in our area for about 3 years. They finally called a pastor, so yesterday was our last Sunday. I will say, with all respect to the members there, I was ready to leave. I know God had us there for a season, but I also knew from day one that my dad was not to be the full time pastor. In true preacher's kid fashion, I did my share of complaining about various things that annoyed me, but the people there were good to us and I will miss them.

As I was thinking about this yesterday, I began a trip down memory lane to all the churches we have served over the years. Some have been easier than others, but always, always, God has given us friends. Lifelong friends. Even in places where the majority of people hated my dad, my family and our ministry, there have always been a few that we count among our "forever friends." Over the years, I have had moments of frustration because I've never really "put down roots." I look at other people - they live in their hometown all their lives, know everybody, are surrounded by family, and have the security of familiarity - and I miss that. (Is it possible to miss something you never really had?) However, I am thankful that I have had the opportunity to live in other places and meet people I wouldn't have known otherwise. It is those people and those experiences that have helped shape who I am (for better or worse). I can honestly say, I wouldn't change a thing. Each person God has allowed to cross my path has brought unique insight and encouragement to my life and given me many memories.

As we were preparing to leave church last night, one of the ladies said "you will be back for homecoming this summer anyway." I thought about that. As a pastor's family, we have participated in many "homecoming" services. Most of the time we don't know most of the people who show up because we are not "locals" and don't share the history of the church. I have often wished that we could have our own "homecoming" with all the people from all the churches we have served over the years. (Well, most of them - maybe not all...) It would be so much fun to have everyone together and introduce all our friends to one another. Then it hit me...I will have a homecoming like that one day - in Heaven! How awesome is that!

So, as we close one chapter in our ministry I am a little sad. I will miss everyone. But, I am excited to see where we go from here, who we will meet and what God will show us. More than likely, if you are reading this blog, our paths have crossed at some point. For some of you this may have been 20 years ago, for others 20 days, but whatever the case know this; I am honored to know you. I count myself blessed that God has brought such special people into my life. I look forward to continuing our friendships into eternity and can't wait to see what's next. I love you all!

5 comments:

Lori said...

What a great post Karen! I feel very priviledged to have been able to know you and be a part of your famiy's ministry! You were my first friend that wasn't family and contiunue to be one of my "forever friends." It's amazing how many firsts I had with you! First Barbie, first ride on the hood of a car (do you remember?), first plane ride, first time out of the country and on and on and on.... It's funny b/c I always think of Andalusia as your home like it is mine - I guess b/c you were here from the beginning of my memory:) We love you all! Sorry about the sadness but I can't wait to hear where God takes you all next! Your Homecoming is such a great thought made even better b/c it really will happen!!

The Chronicles of Tardville said...

Im glad you honored to know me.You should feel very privledged that God allowed me to cross paths with you. Haha love ya

Emily :) said...

This is an awesome post Karen! I can also relate to knowing people from so many different places and wishing that I could have them all in one place. Thanks for reminding me that one day we will have the most unbelievable reunion ever! (And I won't have to plan it!!)

Julie said...

Very thoughtful post! I remember when you had a slumber party(maybe it was for your b-day?????) and Lori, Carrie, Kelley and I ALL stayed at your house. Do you recall? :) If memory serves me right, I think Kelley got mad b/c Carrie had 'honey'-the dog that she slept with at night-and she ended up taking it away from her--something of that nature. Do you recall?

Carrie said...

I am sure that it is hard to move around so much, but I am like Lori...I consider your home to be in Andalusia! I mean, I think of us growing up together! And you know it's funny...Phillipians 1:3 is one of my VERY favorite verses. I love it! I think it's so awesome because it's a pretty big deal if you have people in your life that you can honestly say that you thank God every time you think of them. I heard that verse for the first time at Camp Victory, and it has come to mean so much to me over the years. (I even had it engraved on J's wedding band!) I will say that you are DEFINITELY someone that I can truly say "I thank my God every time I remember you." I love you. I am excited about our true Homecoming too! I think of all the people that will be there that we have met, if only for a second, that have changed our lives. I love to think about how my Granny can run, and hear the angels singing!