Friday, April 9, 2010

Remember

As a preacher's kid, I always cringe when I hear the following statements or variations thereof: "We used to have a big youth group." "Our church used to run 200 in Sunday School" (there will be 15 people there that day.) "I remember when..." Honestly, it makes me want to scream "Well, that's not the case now is it? Move on!" I get so frustrated when people insist on remembering the past while just sitting around in the present. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a trip down memory lane as much as anyone and a rainy afternoon with a scrapbook or photo album is one of my favorite things to do, but I'm talking about living on past "spiritual highs," and past opportunities for growth.


In my own life, I experience something similar. When going through times of spiritual draught and frustration, often, God will bring to my mind times past - times when He provided what I needed or simply gave me what I wanted. Times of encouragement or refreshment, or intense growth. I admit, I tend to get frustrated with that. "That's fine, God, but I'm not focused on Then - I'm here NOW. I want a fresh infusion of faith and hope NOW." (I really can sound like a 2 year old not getting her way sometimes.) However, this week during bible study, God showed me something important - He wants me to remember.


Now when all the nation had finished crossing the Jordan, the Lord spoke to Joshua saying,...'Take up for yourselves twelve stones from here out of the middle of the Jordan, from the place where the priest' s feet are standing firm, and carry them over with you and lay them down in the lodging place where you will lodge tonight.'... He [Joshua] said to the sons of Israel, 'When your children ask their fathers in time to come, saying, 'What are these stones?' Then you shall inform your children saying, 'Israel crossed this Jordan on dry ground.' For the Lord your God dried up the waters of the Jordan before you until you had crossed, just as the Lord your God had done to the Red Sea, which He dried up before us until we had crossed; that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the Lord is mighty, so that you may fear the Lord your God forever. Joshua 4:3-9, 20-24


The children of Israel would go through hard times. They would question leaders and circumstances. They would forget that God loved them and called them to himself. God wanted them to remember.

Remembering is a discipline. It takes work. When I have a bad attitude and am convincing myself that God has forgotten me or doesn't care, I need to choose to remember the truth. I need to choose to remember His word. I need to choose to remember the times He has revealed Himself and taken care of all my worries and anxieties.

Remembering is a gift. During times of draught, God uses past times to remind me that He does care. He is listening and He will answer. So, today, I am choosing to remember His goodness and grace.


I will remember my song in the night; I will meditate with my heart...

I shall remember the deeds of the Lord;
Surely I will remember Your wonders of old.

I will meditate on all Your work and muse on Your deeds." Psalm 77:6,11,12



5 comments:

Emily :) said...

I love this! I love when I am struggling through something and God says, "Remember when?" and reminds of a time we've been through together. Almost like sharing old college memories with a friend. :) Sometimes we do have to stop and remember the good times AND the bad times He's brought us through.

Great post!

Lori said...

Remembering is one of my favorite things too and I've never thought of it in this way. What a great post - thanks for the encouragement and the "reminder" to remember:)

Bethany said...

Love you, Karen. I get more out of your blog posts than most professionally printed Christian literature, and often times sermons. Thanks for being you, and for writing this blog. :)

Lori said...

I have bestowed upon you a wonderful blog award on my blog and I've tagged you in Three. You can check it out on my blog and play along:)

Ministry Happens in Ukraine said...

Those 12 Stones are what Henry Blackaby called "Spiritual Markers"; remembering where you've come from helps you know where you're going. Thanks for reminding me that my sisters aren't the only ones that occasionally read my blogs- I always appreciate your comments.