Earlier this year I posted some thoughts about prayer. Well, God has once again shown me an area I need to work on if I am to become a woman of prayer. While doing some study for a particular verse of Scripture, I came across the following:
"And seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf; for in its welfare you will have welfare." Jeremiah 29:7
Jeremiah 29 is a letter from Jeremiah to the people taken by Nebuchadnezzar into Babylon - God was telling his people to live their lives in the city they were taken to - build houses, plant gardens, marry, have children, etc (vv.4-6) Verse 7 is the command to pray for the city of Babylon and strive for good on its behalf.
As most of you know, this was not my plan. A little over a year ago, I thought I would be serving as a short-term missionary somewhere overseas, however, God apparently had another plan. For whatever reasons, God's plan was for me to be here. No, I don't feel that I am in "exile" as the verse says, but I still have a command to pray for my city - where I am now, the people God has placed in my path, and my brothers and sisters who are called to serve Him here as well.
Talk about conviction! As horrible as it sounds, I haven't prayed for my city, my community as I should. I have been increasingly disturbed as our area has seen increased spiritual warfare. People struggling with addictions, broken relationships, and a host of other things seem to be the order of the day. We tend to just brush everything off by talking about how "things are not like the used to be," and how bad the times are and how things have changed. However, after reading this verse, I am determined to "live" where God has placed me, to pray faithfully for my city and community and be more aware of the underlying things, not just what I see and so often ignore. I'm just not content to have things be as they are. I want to see God working in our area, changing lives and setting people free!!
2 comments:
Great call to the church in this post!! I LOVE going on mission trips but I forget to pray and work HERE and there is so much need. Thanks!
Okay, I've stopped laughing. Just kidding! :)
This is something I just can't be reminded about enough. It is so easy to want to be somewhere else or doing something else that seems more important or special. I pray that I will seek God right where I am at and allow Him to use me here and now.
Post a Comment