Sunday, April 12, 2009

Trust and Obey

I had planned to write something totally different, but this came to me so strongly, I felt I should share. I'm not sure why, but I'll probably find out soon and to be perfectly honest it scares me.

Do you ever have those moments? Normal, ordinary moments - nothing major happens, but God takes something simple and teaches a big lesson. I had one of those moments several years ago and God brings it to mind periodically, gently reminding me of the areas in my life where I have yet to trust Him.

My brother's and Dad's birthdays are five days apart. We are not "Party People" so we usually celebrate quietly with a favorite meal and a special dessert. A few years ago, Dad and AJ decided to pick an "in between" date and eat out at our favorite BBQ restaurant - an hour and a half away from our house. (Note: Even I like this place and I'm a vegetarian!) Anyway, after our meal we headed home with my dad driving, AJ riding shotgun and mom and I in the backseat. It was late, dark, and raining heavily. Instead of taking the interstate,Dad decided to take the 2-lane highway and a couple of back roads (he loves doing that.) I was dozing in the backseat when I heard AJ ask "Do you know where we are?" Dad replied that yes, he knew where we were and proceeded to tell AJ the next turn we had to make, where the road led, how many miles to home, etc. I settled back into my dozing state, but God revealed something to me in that moment: I had no idea where we were. We were traveling a different road from the one I was familiar with. It was dark. It was raining. However, I was not afraid or anxious. I was totally calm - even to the point of sleeping. I completely trusted my dad. I knew he would take care of me and get us home. I didn't try to wrest the steering wheel away from him. I was perfectly content to let him do the driving and be the one in control. I knew that there were things out of Dad's control - other drivers, weather conditions, deer or other animals, etc. Even so, I trusted him. I know he loves me and will take care of me to the best of his ability. I have never doubted this.

Then it hit me. Why, if I trust my wonderful earthly father so implicitly, even with his human limitations, is it so hard and even scary for me to trust my Heavenly Father? Why do I doubt Him? He loves me more than my earthly father ever could. There is nothing out of His control. No circumstances beyond His reach. He knows where I am going and how to get me there safely. Why do I insist on asking - repeatedly - "Do you know where we are?" "Do you know what you are doing?" Why can't I just be content leaving the driving to Him?

"For this reason I say to you, do not be anxious for you life, as to what you shall eat, or what you shall drink; nor for your body, as to what you shall put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?... And which of you by being anxious can add a single cubit to his life span? And why are you anxious about clothing? observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory did not clothe himself like one of these.But if God so arrays the grass of the fields, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more do so for you, O men of little faith? Do not be anxious then, saying 'what shall we eat?' or 'what shall we drink?' or 'with what shall we clothe ourselves?' For all these things the Gentiles eagerly seek; for your Heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow..."Matthew 6:25-34

3 comments:

Lori said...

I really needed that. I have been dealing with fears in a way that I never have before. I've never really been a fearful person but lately, Satan has just attacked me in this area. I'm going to meditate on these verses this week! I think you've always trusted God to lead you - such an encouragement to me!!

What in the world to you eat at a BBQ place?!?!

Karen said...

LOL! The have a great salad bar & side dishes and the best garlic toast ever!

On another note, it is so easy for me to trust God in some areas, but not all. Fear is what I struggle with probably more than anything. (I guess that is why I keep having to learn these hard lessons. You would think it would eventually sink in!)

Emily :) said...

Karen, since we have established that I am totally self-centered, you know that this post was totally for me! :) I love this story and it is such a reminder of how we can trust our Father. And I'm so thankful that He gave me a sister to hang onto when the road gets bumpy or I feel a little lost! Love ya!