It recent years, it seems there has been an all out war waged over the use of the phrase "Happy Holidays." I was reminded of this earlier this week when I ran into a friend at the bookstore. She was buying Christmas cards and proceeded to LOUDLY tell me (and everyone else within 2 miles) that she refuses to send cards with "Happy Holidays." I had just come from mailing our cards and all I could think was "I hope I didn't send her one with 'Happy Holidays' on it!"
Now, I will be the first to admit, this political correctness stuff drives me insane. If people are are offended that easliy, they should probably seek some type of therapy. (If someone mistook me for a Jewish person and said "Happy Hanukkah," I would simply say "the same to you" - not have a meltdown and lobby Congress to have all menorahs and dridels eradicated from the country.) I will also admit that some retail stores have taken it too far. They have eliminated all traces of Christmas. This is not right and as a person who celebrates Christmas it bothers me. However, I am almost ready to say that the war has gotten out of hand. As a Christian I feel like I can't say "Happy Holidays" at all or people will think I am some type of pagan Satan worshipper or something.
In my younger days when I heard "Happy Holidays" I assumed people were refering to the entire holiday season (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years). It never occured to me to believe that people were out to eliminate all mention of Christmas. (BTW- the word "holiday" is derived from two Old English words meaning "Holy" and "Day." The first definition in Webster for "holiday" is "holy day." )
I remember the battle over the abbreviation "Xmas." How many pastors lambasted their congregations over "marking Christ out of Christmas"? After taking Greek in college, I learned that "X" is the symbol for the letter "chi" - the first letter of the Greek word for Christ. In many early Greek New Testament manuscripts the name "Jesus Christ" was abbreviated "IX." No one was "marking Christ out" of anything.
It just seems like people -especially Christians (Xans) - look for things to argue about. Anyone remotely familiar with the Bible should understans that as Christians, we are not accepted by the world. They rejected Jesus and they will reject us. Trying to make people accept Jesus (and us) by screaming about holiday greetings is futile.
I guess the point of my little rant it let's make sure we are following the command of 1 Peter 3:15-16: "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."
Can I give the reason? Could I lead someone to Christ by sharing with them the true meaning of Christmas? To me, Christmas is more about my heart, than the words I say. Actions speak louder than words. Am I showing the lost around me the love of Christ, or condemning them for saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"? So, for whatever it's worth I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season and a MERRY CHRISTMAS!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
It is so funny that you write this because just today I was looking for a Christmas layout for my myspace and I was afraid to get one that just said "Happy Holidays" for fear that someone might think I have forgotten about Jesus! Isn't that funny? You're right, we totally pick the wrong things to harp on. Okay, seriously, I'm going to bed now! Love ya!
I'm one of those "bad" people who writes Xmas and I'll admit that I don't pay attention to whether my cards say Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas, so I'm with you!! I certainly don't want to take Christ out of Christmas - I mean He IS Christmas, but I think we can't be as picky as the world is about stuff. We just have to keep speaking truth in love and let them see what's DIFFERENT about us. BTW, I felt the same way about the whole prayer in school deal. I really don't want public school teacher teaching my kid how to pray so I wasn't really against not having public prayer there. I think the problem is not having enough prayer in our homes - but that's a whole other issue!! Love ya!
I did save a curl, but it's weird to me. I have this envelope full of hair and I'm very unsure what to do with it now!!
Not sure you remember me, I went to PHS........I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!! For some reason I've been trying to explain these very words this week in an email, but I think i was just offending everyone!! You wrote it exactly how i felt (can i copy and paste this to those who i was trying to explain my views on Christmas) And I totally agree w/ no prayer at school, Lori. As a teacher, I NEVER go there w/ my kids. I don't feel it's the reason they are in school.
Hey Karen. I just noticed as I was doing a new post that my mother's shirt in a pic on there says "Happy Holidays." Please don't be offended - you know she loves the Lord! LOL Sorry, couldn't resist!
I loved this post. Great work, Karen. I know we often do that, but I have always said Merry Christmas, no matter what. And I do my best not to put Xmas unless I have no choice. :)
I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a blessed new year. Btw, I got your card and I hope mine has arrived by now. :) Talk to you soon!
Post a Comment