Three years ago, I was introduced to a medical mission team with members from Mississippi and Georgia. Many members of the group have been together for years conducting trips in South & Central America. About 10 years ago they felt God leading the team in a new direction - Ukraine. The trip coordinator connected with missionaries Mike & Linda Ray who serve in the eastern part of the country. Our team consists of about 30 members - medical doctors, nurses, two optometrists, evangelists, and other volunteers. Once in Ukraine, we are joined by interpreters, pastors, and counselors. We split into two teams and travel in opposite directions each day. This enables us to conduct twice as many clinics and reach twice as many people.
We partner with local Baptist churches - usually church plants - and conduct medical/optical clinics. Upon arrival each day, local pastors and lay volunteers set up registration, collecting names, addresses, etc. Depending on the situation, people are then taken to a worship service where the gospel is presented or in many cases, meet individually with a counselor where one-on-one evangelism takes place. They are given Bibles and other literature explaining what it means to be a Christian and how to become one. Afterward, they are sent to the doctors for whatever physical need they may have. The basic premise is that we, the medical team, are the "bait" that draws people - they are more likely to listen if their physical needs are met - and our Ukrainian brothers and sisters are there to "catch" them - focusing on spiritual needs. (see Matthew 4:19) I have to say, I am AMAZED by the commitment to personal evangelism our Ukrainian family has. If we were one-tenth as concerned about our lost neighbors as they are, our church building would probably not be big enough to hold everyone.
That is the basic set-up. Below are some pictures of the week. This was my third trip and I am already saving for next year. Ukraine worked its way into my heart my first trip and I haven't been the same since. There is more to this year's story including my "God list" - evidences of God's hand throughout the week, but that will be my next post. Stay tuned...
of acres of sunflowers. The pictures don't do justice! It's beautiful!)

2 comments:
Well, I thought I posted a comment from a cabin in the moutains, but I guess it didn't take. Loved hearing about your trip and can't wait to hear more...
Sounds like God has something special for you with these people! Some He has already shown you and there's no telling what's to come. Thanks for obeying in this way!
Pictures are gorgeous, and I'm so jealous of your experience. I'm ready for the next segment!
Post a Comment