Friday, May 22, 2009

Choose You This Day

"What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Jesus Christ my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ..." Philippians 3:8

I am having to learn some hard lessons right now. For years, God has dealt with me on the issue of total surrender. At times this lesson is more intense than others, but it is definitely a "theme" with me. He has brought some things to light recently that I thought I had already surrendered, but apparently - judging by my reaction to this current lesson - I have not. A few days ago, God gave me a mental picture that stopped me in my tracks:

A road or path stretching before me. One one side, a gathering of "everything" - my family & friends, my dreams, material things, a house, marriage & children, a good life, a life of comfort with all the things most of us desire. On the other side of the path, a desert with a person standing alone. I knew the question almost immediately. "Am I enough?"

I began to think about that. Have I accepted that Jesus is enough? Or do I just say that I have while holding on to all those good things (and they are good things - there is nothing "bad" in that list.) Would I still follow him, even if there were no promises of blessing - present or future?

Is he enough? So many times the temptation is to consider surrender for a season - "I'll give up this or that to serve Christ for the moment, but in a few years he will not require this particular sacrifice of me any longer." Following Christ requires that I give Him everything, for all time. He promises to meet all our needs. His word reveals that the I AM is enough and so much more.

So, in light of this incredibly personal post, I would ask for your prayers as I strive to give up my right to my life, my dreams and my desires. It's one thing to sing "I Surrender All," it's quite another to live it.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I will pray for you in this as I pray that I too can surrender all to Him. I think there are actually very few times that I live in total surrender without looking for some earthly compensation to make me feel good. I pray that God gives you more and more of Him as you lay the other things down so you have no doubt that He is more than enough!!

Phil 3:8 is my favorite verse by the way!